Sonoma County allows recreational trailers to be used as accommodations for people giving or receiving home care, The is a temporary use permit granted on extremely favorable terms for a nominal fee of $320 .
The guidelines for this permit in Sonoma County and a list of other counties with similar provisions follow.
Temporary Occupancy of Travel Trailers, Recreational Vehicles and Mobile Homes
This form explains the permit requirements for temporary occupancy of travel trailers, recreational vehicles, and mobile homes allowed under the following circumstances:
- Temporary occupancy of a travel trailer, recreational vehicle or mobile home during the construction or major remodel/addition of a single family
- a building permit for the proposed construction must be ready for issuance;
- the approved sewage disposal system must be installed and inspected;
- the temporary unit must be connected to the approved sewage disposal system;
- the temporary unit must be removed as a condition to receiving a final on the building permit for the new
- Temporary occupancy of a travel trailer or recreational vehicle (no mobile/manufactured homes) to house a care giver per Sonoma County Code Section 26-88-010(p).
- requires documentation from a doctor
- must be renewed annually
- Temporary occupancy of a travel trailer or recreational vehicle to house agricultural employees for 90 days on properties with a bonafide agricultural use
These temporary units shall comply with zoning regulations and shall be connected to water, electricity and a lawful sewage disposal system or sewer. Permits are required for electrical and sanitation connections and if the temporary unit is a mobile home, a permit is also required for the set-up. Permits may also be required if exit stairs and a deck are necessary. Temporary units that are 640 square feet or larger shall also comply with Fire Safe Standards for access, fire suppression, setbacks and addressing. (See attached sample drawings for temporary sanitary and electrical connections, exit stairs and deck foundation plan).
- Temporary Permit Application
- Documentation from a physician (if applicable).
- Three (3) copies of electrical and sanitation connection
- Three (3) sets of floor plans
- Three (3) copies of a complete site plan
- Two (2) copies of installation manuals (for mobile homes and State approved manufactured )
- Three (3) copies of exit stairs and deck detail, if applicable
Permit Fees: see current Permit and Resource Management Department (PRMD) fee schedule.
- Mobile home setup
- Minimum electrical
- Minimum plumbing
- Minimum zoning clearance
- Well/Septic office clearance fee or hourly rate for field clearance
- Public sewer connection fee if served by public
Permit Renewal Fee. A travel trailer or recreational vehicle used to house a care giver is required to be renewed annually. If the permit is renewed for the existing travel trailer or recreational vehicle, the applicant will be charged only the minimum zoning clearance fee for the annual renewal.
Sonoma County Permit and Resource Management Department
2550 Ventura Avenue v Santa Rosa, CA v 95403-2829 v (707) 565-1900 v Fax (707) 565-1100
CALIFORNIA COUNTIES THAT CURRENTLY ALLOW TEMPORARY
OCCUPANCY OF RECREATIONAL TRAILERS FOR HOME CARE